Meghalaya boasts a wealth of cultural traditions that are currently at risk of fading away. It is essential to ensure the preservation and promotion of this cultural heritage so that future generations can also embrace and enjoy it. Cinema or film plays a significant role in in shaping people’s perspective, emotions, and culture through showcasing different lifestyles, beliefs and historical contexts. It can entertain, educate and influence social attitudes by portraying diverse characters, experiences and themes. The visual narratives, creative storytelling techniques, and diverse artistic styles of cinemas serve as source of inspiration for artists. It provides a platform for artists by influence their creativity and ideas.
Cinema theatres which serve as communal spaces where people gather to experience films together for artistic expression, cultural preservation, and community engagement. The Government understands that by investing in new and improving the existing facilities, an environment can be created that nurtures talent, showcases the state’s unique culture, and provides avenues for recreation and enjoyment for all residents. However, Meghalaya faces dearth of entertainment and media establishments that can cater to the needs and aspirations of its people.
To address the concern and invigorate the entertainment landscape of Meghalaya, the State recognizes the critical need for well-established and efficiently run facilities. The proposed project aims to enrich the cultural and recreational experiences of the community by establishing Cinema Theatres in the region which will not only screen movies but play a pivotal role in promoting local film talents. By providing a platform for emerging filmmakers to showcase their works, the government seeks to nurture and amplify the unique voices and stories from the community. Regular film festivals will be a highlight, celebrating the rich tapestry of cultures, both local and international, and encouraging intercultural exchange and dialogue. With modern audio-visual technology at disposal, the cinema halls will offer an immersive movie-watching experience, rivalling the convenience of home entertainment while recapturing the magic of the silver screen.
With respect to the above, the government is launching the “Meghalaya Cinema Theatre Scheme”, a credit linked scheme aimed at providing entertainment to the citizens and promoting cultural enrichment for the people of the state. The selected applicants will receive financial aid to establish Cinema Theatres which may include “value additions” like food courts, childcare, gaming zones, car detailing, retail stores, halls and any other amenity that would ensure that the establishment is successful.
- A dedicated space to exhibit homegrown cinema and films:
This space will serve as a vibrant showcase for locally produced films, nurturing a sense of cultural identity and pride within the community.
- A communal hub fostering social connections and interactions:
As a central gathering place, it will encourage diverse social interactions and engagement, strengthening the bonds within our society.
- A catalyst inspiring artistic expression and the craft of filmmaking:
By providing a platform for creativity to flourish, it will ignite a passion for artistic expression and filmmaking skills, shaping the future of our cinematic heritage.
- An advocate for celebrating and safeguarding the richness of local traditions:
With a commitment to preserving local traditions, it will stand as a champion for the cultural heritage and traditions that make our region unique and vibrant.
- 20 Cinema Theatres to be established in the state of Meghalaya:
Our ambitious plan includes the establishment of 20 state-of-the-art cinema theatres across Meghalaya, enhancing access to quality entertainment.
- Local artist will have a place where they can showcase their movies:
As a platform for local talent, this space will provide opportunities for artists to present their films, fostering a sense of pride and recognition within the community.
- Improved economic activity through employment in production, distribution and operations:
This initiative is expected to generate increased economic activity by creating jobs in film production, distribution, and operational roles, contributing to the region’s prosperity.
|Providing financial aid to 20 entrepreneurs from across the state to build cinema theatres in their major economic hubs
|Who can apply?
- Individuals from Meghalaya
- Registered firms in Meghalaya only companies (such as Pvt Ltd, LLP, Sole Proprietorship etc, organisations “for profit”. However, NGOs, SHGs, Societies may not be eligible based on their constitution)
(In case applicants wish to apply and require assistance in registering their firms, PRIME can provide the necessary support)
|Total number of cinema theatres
|Twenty (20) numbers minimum to one in each district.
|Promotion and Incubation of Market Driven Enterprises (PRIME)
|Meghalaya Basin Management Agency (MBMA)
- A maximum of 20 cinema theatres in the state with priority being provided to one application per district first.
- A maximum of 20 applicants will be selected in the state of Meghalaya however giving priority to one application per district first i.e., unless every district has had one selected entrepreneur (provided applications are received and approved by the selection committee) no other district will have more than 1 selected application.