About 80% of the State’s population resides in rural areas. Rural economy has the potential to become one of the key drivers for economic growth of the State. In order to meet the meet the ever-changing needs and aspirations of the rural communities, there is a need for availability of improved village-level infrastructure and facilities.
The Meghalaya Common Facility Centre Scheme is an initiative of the Government of Meghalaya for creating common multi-purpose infrastructures to cater to the socio-economic needs of the village. With a significant portion of the State’s population residing in rural areas, focussed interventions to promote socio-economic growth of the village communities is essential. To encourage the growth of rural industries and promote village-level entrepreneurship, Common Facility Centres (CFC) would be established to foster economic empowerment in the rural areas. The CFCs would be a standard, weather-proof infrastructure providing commonly needed facilities at one place, leading to reduction in operational costs and investment for the rural communities and enterprises.
By taking into consideration the common objectives of the village, the CFCs can be designed to house the much-needed facilities as per local requirements, all at one place. The CFCs can also facilitate in promotion of rural entrepreneurship and enterprises, thereby providing livelihood opportunities and a boost to the rural economy.
The central feature of this program is its financial assistance component, where eligible entrepreneurs can secure up to 75% of their project cost while the remaining 25% can be obtained through bank loans. This financial support serves as a vital catalyst for village-based organisations to build rural infrastructure.
With respect to the above, the government is launching the “Common Facility Centre (CFC) Scheme”, as part of the Chief Minister’s ELEVATE program, to provide subsidy-based assistance to the selected entrepreneurs to establish Common Facility Centres in their villages. This scheme will be implemented by the Meghalaya Basin Management Authority (MBMA).
The objective of the ELEVATE – Meghalaya Common Facility Center Scheme is as follows:
The Meghalaya Common Facility Centre Scheme
Financial aid for construction of Common Facility Centre (CFC) at villages, with the option to select one amongst the 3 sizes.
Who can apply?
1. Individuals from Meghalaya
2. Any farmer’s association/group/entity registered in Meghalaya such as Cooperatives, Farmer Producer Companies (FPC), Farmer Producer Organisation (FPO) etc.
3. Any unregistered entity such as village organizations, self-help groups, producer groups and any other traditional institutions etc. based in Meghalaya can apply
Applications shall not be ordinarily considered for the following
1. Following individuals (currently employed as full-fledged or contractual, or retired and drawing pension) and their Immediate family members which includes spouse, parents, and children up to the age of 30
a. state and central Government employees
b. employees of public sector undertakings, subsidiaries of public sector undertakings and divisions of public sector undertakings etc.
c. any individual whose job is concerned with politics such MLAs, MLCs, MPs etc. or seeking to hold a similar position in government
d. registered class-1 contractors
e. consultants who are currently engaged with state or central government
2. Pressure groups and organizations that are primarily political in nature.
Nodal department for the CM-ELEVATE
Planning, Investment Promotion & Sustainable Development Department
Meghalaya Basin Management Agency
Online application on the CM-ELEVATE Portal
As the scheme is aimed at setting up CFCs at village level, only village-based institutions/organizations are eligible for applying for the same. These include Dorbar Shnongs, Integrated Village Cooperative Societies, Village Organizations, Self-Help Groups, Farmer Producer Organizations, and other such community-based organization/society.
The eligibility criteria are designed to ensure that the selected entrepreneurs are residents of Meghalaya, have secured appropriate land arrangements, and demonstrate commitment for the socio-economic wellbeing of the village. All entrepreneurs should meet the following conditions:
Non-registered groups include Self-help groups (SHGs), Community-based organizations (CBOs), Producer groups and other such community-based organisations.
Note: In absence of any valid document, certificate, or other requisite documents, a duly attested certificate from the Block Development Officer (BDO) can be submitted and the same may be considered as proof.
Entrepreneurs are required to complete the application process and submit all the required documents through the online CM-ELEVATE Program Portal.
As proof of eligibility, the entrepreneurs are required to provide proof of their eligibility for the scheme by submitting the required documents mentioned below.
Summary of the financing plan:
The figure below shows the overall summary of the financing of the project.
Quantum and Nature of Assistance:
Total down payment will be 80% of the project cost and the remaining 20% will be on credit through a bank loan.
Applications will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
Applications will be shortlisted based on the verification of all required documents mentioned above.
A “State Level Evaluation Committee” will be constituted to evaluate the applications. The committee will be headed by the CEO/ED of MBMA and will have the banking partners as its members.
Membership of the committee to be notified by MBMA from time to time.
Personal interviews of the screened entrepreneurs may be conducted by the committee to ascertain the suitability of the entrepreneur for the scheme.
Shortlisted entrepreneurs will undergo an inspection of the land and relevant documents submitted with the proposal.
|Total Project Cost||₹ 14,75,180.00||₹ 26,15,300.00||₹ 40,22,000.00|
|Loan Amount||₹ 2,95,036.00||₹ 5,23,060.00||₹ 8,04,400.00|
|Loan term||7 years||7 years||7 years|
|Moratorium period||12 months||12 months||12 months|
1) Margin money/Down paymentSupport:
Total down paymentwill be 80% of the total cost of the CFC and the remaining 20% will be on credit through a bank loan.
2) Additional support:
3) Maximum support to be provided from the government:
Maximum support from the government will be 75% of the total cost of the CFC.
Illustration to understand the payment terms
Let’s consider an example of a small CFC to understand the various financial components of setting-up a CFC.
|Total cost of the CFC||₹14,75,180.00||₹26,15,300.00||₹40,22,000.00|
|Down payment by Entrepreneur (5%)||73,759.00||1,30,765.00||2,01,100.00|
|Down payment by GoM (75%)||11,06,385.00||19,61,475.00||30,16,500.00|
|Loan Amount (20%)||2,95,036.00||5,23,060.00||8,04,400.00|
|Annual Interest Rate||9%||9%||9%|
|Term of Loan||7 years||7 years||7 years|
|Total Monthly EMI||₹5,817||₹ 10,313.00||₹ 15,860|
Size (sq feet)
No of days rented
Total annual EMI
(Based on the (i) MPWD-S/R- 2021-2022 buildings)
|1000 sq feet||2000 sq feet||3000 sq feet|
|CONSTRUCTION OF COMMUNITY HALL||₹ 13,41,716||₹ 25,41,760||₹ 37,37,213|
|CONSTRUCTION OF TOILET BLOCK||₹ 1,90,310||₹ 1,90,310||₹ 5,47,132|
|SUB TOTAL =||₹ 15,32,026||₹ 27,32,070||₹ 42,84,345|
|Add 7.5 % for Water Supply and Sanitation on C||₹ 1,14,902||₹ 2,04,905||₹ 3,21,326|
|Add 8.5 % for Electrification on C||₹ 1,30,222||₹ 2,32,226||₹ 3,64,169|
|Septic tank and soak pit with brick walling (20 users)||₹ 91,081||₹ 1,38,315||₹ 1,38,315|
|Water storage tank (2000 Liters) @ ₹ 10.00/ Liter||₹ 20,000||₹ 40,000||₹ 40,000|
|TOTAL (C+D+E+F+G) =||₹ 18,88,231||₹ 33,47,516||₹ 51,48,156|
|Less for Multiplication factor @ 28% ON H||₹ 14,75,180||₹ 26,15,247||₹ 40,21,997|
|Total cost||₹ 14,75,180||₹ 26,15,300||₹ 40,22,000|
Design for 1000sqt ft.
Design for 2000sqt ft.
Design for 3000sqt ft.
Support to be provided by MBMA
To ensure that the scheme is implemented effectively MBMA will provide the necessary support as defined below.
Planning, Investment Promotion & Sustainable Development Department, Government of Meghalaya,